Tuesday, February 09, 2016

10 Questions For: Krista Siegfrids

INTERVIEW

Ding dong! Time for one more exclusive interview on Sounds European!! Our next trip is to Finland, where we have the pleasure to talk to one of the most charismatic artists of the country. She is pretty, she is smart, she has attitude and she is ready to try Eurovision a second time. These are our 10 questions for Krista Siegfrids:

Sounds European!: Let's start by going back to the past. Who were your music idols when you were growing up? Do you feel they influenced in any way the artist you are nowadays? When did you start singing? And what were your first professional experiences with singing?

Krista Siegfrids: My first idols were the Spice Girls! They were my life and religion when I was ten. Haha! We used to sing and dance to their music with my friends every day after school. We also performed at school parties and other happenings. It was a great time! :)
Of course it has had an impact on me. The girl power phenomenon has always been an important thing to me as well. Maybe the attitude "I do whatever I want" came from there. Back then, I already knew that I wanted to do pop music. I performed for the first time in kindergarten and I really enjoyed it. But I attended my first big singing competition when I was ten.

SE!: You had some experience with musical theater. Tell us a bit about the plays you took part of, and what you learned from them. You're a very expressive artist on stage – do you think theater helped you develop that skill of yours?

KS: I've done two musicals. A musical called "Play me", and "The three musketeers". It was fun and I learned a lot from it. I learned to work hard and to take care of my voice. We had a lot of shows, sometimes six a week, sometimes two shows a day, so you really learn to work your ass off. Hah! I really liked the theatre scene, but I always knew I wanted to do my own music and my own thing.

SE!: You took part of the first season of The Voice of Finland. How did you decide to participate of it? And what are your biggest memories and lessons from that time? Later in your career, you came back to the show, this time as a coach of the Kids version. How is it for you to coach the children?

KS: I participated because I wanted to become a solo artist. The Voice of Finland was a great TV show and I wanted to see where it would take me. It was a good start for me. I got to perform on TV on prime time and I got new fans that voted for me later in UMK 2013, when I won the Finnish selection [for Eurovision]. One thing always leads to another. ;)
I was really happy when they asked me to become a coach in The Voice Kids. The kids were amazing! So much joy! It was so nice to work with them, because I really felt like I had something to give them. It was so fun to support them and to see how they developed in such a short time.

SE!: Another competition you took part was UMK, the Finnish National Final for Eurovision. And this one, you won. How was your experience with it? And what did you feel when you were selected to represent your country on Eurovision?

KS: It was a dream come true! My life changed over one night! Suddenly, my schedule was fully booked and I got to do things I've never done before. My artist career started with a big bang, and I'm so grateful for that. It was the craziest and funniest time in my life!

SE!: About Eurovision. Your entry, "Marry me", is still very remembered and celebrated by Eurovision fans – and not many songs keep that effect after some years. What do you think your song had (and has) to achieve this feat? And what are your memories about that Eurovision week? How was it for you?

KS: I love Eurovision and I always have! I wanted to do a song and a show that people will remember. And the message was really important to us. We wanted to show Finland and Europe what we felt about LGBT rights because that was a big issue in Finland in 2013. We were there to spread love! I had so much fun in Malmö with my ding dong girls! We laughed all the time and it felt like it was a never-ending party. :)

"The girl power phenomenon has always been an important thing to me as well. Maybe the attitude 'I do whatever I want' came from there" (Picture: official Facebook page)

SE!: Your work after Eurovision is, in our opinion, outstanding: every new single you release is another masterpiece of pop music. What do you do to keep your level of production so high? And what are your objectives when you are preparing a new song? What do you want your fans to feel when they listen to you?

KS: Wow! Thank you! :) Well, I work a lot and I've been working with very talented people. It's so inspiring to work with great people because you develop your own skills at the same time. I always write about something that I've experienced or something that I think about. Something that touches me. My last single, "Better on my own", tells my friend's story. "Can you see me?" is about my father, who passed away when I was 15. Sometimes the songs are sad and sometimes I just wanna party! I want my fans to feel something when they listen to my songs. Joy, happiness, comfort, strength... sometimes the song is just all about making them dance!

SE!: Your 2016 is starting very movemented. You are going to host UMK, which you won in 2013, and you will also be competing on Melodifestivalen, the Swedish National Final for Eurovision. How did both invitations happen to you? And what took you to try to go to Eurovision again, this time for Sweden?

KS: I've been writing songs in Stockholm and one of them became really good, so I decided to send it to Melodifestivalen because I LOVE Mello! Eurovision and Mello [Melodifestivalen] are my childhood dreams. I'm so excited that I get to experience this. UMK asked me if I wanted to host the show with Roope Salminen and I said "HELL YEAH"! :)

SE!: Besides hosting UMK and participating of Melodifestivalen, what are your plans for 2016? What can we expect from you in a near time?

KS: It depends a lot on what happens in Mello... But I'll definitely release new music and I will tour this year.

SE!: If you could choose anyone, who would be some Finnish and international artists you'd like to collaborate with?

KS: I would LOVE to sing with Lady Gaga! She's cool! A Finnish artist/band would be The Rasmus, Sunrise Avenue, Redrama.

SE!: We would like to post a song of yours to close this interview. What is your favorite song of yourself, and why?

KS: OMG! That's a tough one... But "Can you see me?" has a special place in my heart. But I also love my new singles "On & off" and "Better on my own". Haha! You choose! :)

No comments: