Monday, April 25, 2016

10 Questions For: Polina Gagarina

INTERVIEW

Sounds European! has been having the opportunity to interview several amazing artists all across the continent. But not many times have we talked to such an idol of ours as this time. We are now heading to Russia, where we talked to one of the biggest divas of Eastern European music. And, after her very deep and honest answers, our admiration for her has only grown. These are our 10 questions for Polina Gagarina:

Sounds European!: Before anything else, let's talk about your history with music. Who were your idols when growing up? And who are your current idols and influences?

Polina Gagarina: There was and there is always only one hero in my life, who is the closest and dearest one at the same time. That hero is my mom. She is also an actress, a professional dancer. Since my childhood, I tried to look up to my mom and wanted to be like her. We often advise with each other, I wait for her help or support on every matter. That's it. I've never looked up to any other heroes. I always went on my own way, learning how to be myself and what path in career to choose.

SE!: You rose to fame after winning the second season of Star Factory, in 2003. How was your experience on the show? How did you feel when you were announced as the winner? And what were the biggest lessons you took from that participation?

PG: That was a good start, a right understanding of my further direction in career. Performances, fixing mistakes, tips by professionals – all of that was on the TV show. But, perhaps, the most important lesson I learned was before Fabrika Zvyozd [Russian name for Star Factory] – you have to work hard. Always. Don't be lazy! Be in progress, keep it up! I think that's the reason I won the show.

SE!: You have several amazing singles which reached massive success in Russia and region. How do you feel knowing your songs reach so many people, all around the world? How do you face success? And what are your dreams for your career, what do you want to still achieve?

PG: I'm so happy to know that my songs got so popular in Russia, as well as in Europe. Every actor or singer tends to be on demand and, of course, one should be talented, hardworking and so on. I perceive my popularity as a result of my hard work. I have always worked conscientiously, because I knew that talent gives you only 10% of success, the rest – your efforts. I'm so glad that I've got fans and followers whom I'm very proud of – because I can assure you, they choose music of high quality, which I create especially for them.

SE!: In our opinion, your songs are among the best ones currently being produced in the worldwide pop music scene. Singles such as "Spektakl' okonchen", "Net", "Shagay" and "Ya ne budu" are pop at its best form. How would you describe your own music? And how do you want people to perceive it? Also, how do you do to maintain such a high level in the long term, single after single?

PG: I can't describe my music in one or two words, because it is absolutely different. I just say it again – my music is a high-quality product. I don't sing songs that are meant to become popular if I don't like them or if they don't correlate with my vision of music. I don't want to lie to my audience and sing for them whatever is possible. I want them to listen to good and well-felt music.

SE!: You represented Russia in the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest, with an outstanding live performance, reaching a great second place. You also sang during the draw for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers. How do you feel knowing your name is always remembered to represent your country in important international events? And how was your exeperience in both Eurovision and the FIFA draw?

PG: It's definitely pleasant. I was proud to represent my country on Eurovision. I'm always happy to accept the invitations of such a big scale. I feel like I am a council of peace and kindness, because events such as Eurovision or Football Championship unite people from different countries.

"I don't sing songs that are meant to become popular if I don't like them or if they don't correlate with my vision of music"

SE!: Nowadays, you are one of the coaches of Golos, the Russian version of The Voice. What can you tell us about being a coach of the show? And how does it feel to be, a decade after Star Factory, "on the other side" of the game, judging other new talents of music?

PG: This role is very, very hard. I mean, there have been hard times, when this or that decision for one or another participant should be made. All of the guys on the show were talented, but it's a show, and I knew that, but I couldn't help but taking the leaving of every participant to my heart. Secondly, my role as a mentor on the show Golos was a debut for me, and I feel I haven't unveiled my potential as a mentor fully. I considered my mistakes, and I think I have enough time to work on them.

SE!: Female pop music is really strong and prolific in Russia and neighboring countries. We imagine that, at the same time, it can be both good (there is space for appearing) and bad (there is a lot of competition). How do you analyze the Russian female pop scene? And how do you try to stand out from the other singers with your music?

PG: I don't try to differentiate myself from others, to be ahead or to bite more than I can chew. But I have always been and still am sincere in what I'm doing. I respect my audience, and I will never chase a quantity of fans, I'm going to work on the quality of my music. I think people see the truth and the honesty, and they want their actors or singers to be honest – the whole life is built on it and on trust.

SE!: What are your professional plans for the near future? What can your fans expect from you?

PG: This year is rich of surprises, which we're showing you little by little. The first surprise and this one – the best of the best – was my new show, POLINA, which I perceive as something special, new. After the premiere of the show in Moscow, I went on tour across the Russian Federation and Europe: London, Vienna, Riga, Tallinn and Vilnius. We filmed a clip of my song "Day". Recently, I recorded a co-track with a famous rapper in Russia, Basta. The genre, I find unusual, but interesting.

SE!: If you could choose anyone, who would be some Russian and international artists you'd like to collaborate with?

PG: I'm interested in collaborating with any talented and charming actors, singers and musicians. I like experimenting with something new.

SE!: We would like to post a song of yours to close this interview. What is your favorite song of yourself, and why?

PG: I've got lots of favorite songs, especially those I have written myself. I think I can recommend you one of my unusual songs – "Day". I wrote it yet in 2014, though the premiere of the clip happened in 2016, on my show POLINA in Moscow.

No comments: